Wednesday, April 1, 2009

2 forms of Randori

These guys are doing some interesting wrestling. I have trouble saying they are practicing aiki though. Using the randori method of training is a tightrope walk between reality training and non productive training.



You see, they are moving to fast for their skill level. They are trying to fabricate technique when there is non to take.

I would like to digress for a moment and talk about calligraphy.

When I moved to Japan I started the practice of calligraphy. I was not interested in the stiff forms, and learning the proper brush strokes. I wanted to do the large swirling pieces of art. I wanted randori, without studying kata or understanding the principles of the art form. My calligraphy looked like a train wreck.

Similary just jumping into randori, you will get a similar result. You must learn the principles, so technique will emerge. A strong philosophy of what you are doing must be in place.

What I am seeing in this video is crashing energy. I am seeing people trying to throw, then people trying to feel. I see people afraid to lose, so they are willing to violate the rules and principles of the art they are trying to learn.

Here is a video of what we consider randori at KyuRyu AikiBudo. Me and Mike could easily attack each other to the point where we would be struggling - rolling around on the ground biting each others ears off. We have to slow down, and attempt to obey the rules of our ethics and art form. We are allowed to counter, but we are not afraid to lose. We walk the line of reality training and training at a speed where we can actually learn.



I suppose either method is practice. But like Kano Sensei taught, I am searching for maximum efficiency with minimum effort.

1 comment:

  1. from kodokan judo we see five levels of training for free application --uchikomi(static unresistive, repetitiive), nagekomi (dynamic, unresistive, flowing--mostly trading throws), stugeiko (dynamicand resistive but with a prescribed goal and prescribed resistance),randori (dynamic,spontaneous, noncompetitive but incorporating kaeshiwaza --kinda nagekomi with attitude yet still friendly) and finally shiai(dynamic, resistive and competitiive, but still within rules of some sort-- still not "anything goes") --past shiai all we see is what Mr.Tomiki called "mere violence."
    Each type of training has its advantages and disadvantages-- for the most part at my place, we find spending most of the time in nagekomi to be the most efficnet use of our training time (it meets our needs and fits our goals-- once folks are pretty sweet in nagekomi play they can gradually step it up into randori) -- But i recognize if our goals were different (like playing in a judo or aiki tournament of some sort) then we would have to adjust the training to fit those ends.
    We'd have to learn to "play to the rules" so as to "win the game"
    All good -- everybody needs a hobby-- I just prefer a different passtime and for my goals, i like one that "transcends victory and defeat"

    ReplyDelete