Thursday, April 9, 2009

Splitting Shins

On a night similar to this one long ago...a few beers in me and up late watching TV. It must have been in 1994 or so. I was a hard style martial artist. I was on the verge of going even harder. Then on TV, came some fights in Thailand. Boxers, fierce warriors. They stood and smashed each other to bloody pieces.

That night I chose the path of softness.

Everyone needs a hobby. For me, no thank you. In my mind's eye - this way to resolve conflict is not martial perfection.



Here is some traditional training techniques. Seems awesome when you are in your 20s.



Seems like a lot of me calling in sick to work because of injuries in my 30s.

If I had the eyes of a man in my 40s or 50s I believe the response to this kind of training would be - Hell no!




While as a artist I still study conflict, like these gentlemen do - I am searching for a higher ethical and philosophical through the conflict. Can I take a something that is terrible like human conflict and not get hurt, and protect my assailant at the same time?

I guess what I saw that sickened me in Thai boxing is that they are fighters. I on the other hand, studying fighting so I don't have to fight. I must train to care for my body. Sure my body can be used as a weapon, but I also use it to work, make love and celebrate with my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment