Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Sensei Strange?

Last year on the Kaze Uta Budo Kai boards Sean Ashby posed a question.
"What is the appropriate way to use the term "sensei"? At what point does a person become or start being addressed as "sensei"? I would imagine that opinions vary on the subject, as would various schools and arts, so I'm curious to see what folks might have to say."
Nick Lowry responded.
"in the budo tradition we come from, typically after 4th dan students and peers may use the term sensei to refer to a teacher-- though in Japansese culture in general, who serves as a teacher may be refered to in this way -- Later, after 6th dan you hear the term shihan or "leader of men" used as well, though the term sensei is still also completely appropraite reguardless of rank-- as with all honorific titles and ranks it is coinsidered rude and arrogant to use such terms to refer to oneself -- a point widely overlooked in the west where such usage has become an ugly form of advertising -- For myself, I am pointedly embarassed at my own (unknowing) misuse of such in the past -- i see that i was just following the examples of my role models, but i did not yet understand how my models were themselves being rude and arrogant there are also a variety of other honorific titles that have been misused over the years which are missappropriations form other ranking systems-- I think it is best to just avoid them entirely"
And my response (slightly edited here)


What??? But I am the Sensei Strange!!!

Let me explain something about myself. As I young man I earned degrees in Anthropology and Psychology. Like Indiana Jones, I was sure when I moved to Japan I was going to seamlessly blend into the culture, mastering the language in days. Contrary to my fantasies I remained a giant, fat, larger than life, boisterous heavy beer drinker. Much of my fitting in involved dancing on desktops (much to coworkers horror) staging fire shows, pouring Tequila into the city mayor until he ceremoniously vomited over a banquet, and levitating cards in classrooms. I have a flair for the dramatic after all. |

In 2000 I was writing articles for a few Zen and Budo online magazines, and beginning to perform juglging and magic at festivals. I found no matter great a performance, or well crafted article I wrote, no one would remember my name. My lack of branding drove me crazy.

Then one day in a In Niiharu middle school English class, one of my students called me 'Henna Sensei' meaning strange teacher. The words rolled around in my head for a few hours. Then as I returned to my desk I saw the pile of American comic books I brought from home for my students. On top was the comic, Dr Strange - sorcerer supreme. Then in a flash the two ideas merged and "Sensei Strange" came to me. Well aware of the Japanese language conventions, I started using it as a pen name. Instantly I became memorable. Interesting thing about art - how you frame it is sometimes as important as the art itself.
I ran Sensei Strange by some of my Japanese friends as a stage name for the magic act I was developing. They all gave it a yes vote. Then slowly over the next few years, being a shameless self promoter of magic I introduced myself as 'Eric Pearson the Sensei Strange' more and more! It became my real and only name for a great percentage of people I now know. It is my professional name of sorts. So I adopted Sensei...not as a mere title. It is some sort of absurd magical avatar!!!! Talk about rude and arrogant! Again, I proved myself to be a white, bearded Godzilla plowing through Japanese conventions. Honestly it has become kind of a joke on myself and an idictment of my ridiculous nature. I am both reverant and an iconoclast in all things.

That's my story. Is it arrogant and rude to call yourself Sensei? Yup. Don't do it. I messed up. For those of us in the budo world it looks douchey. As a martial artist I regret the "name" a bit now...but the die has been cast and I have to deal with my ridiculous choices.

I hate seeing on social media people introduce themselves as sensei, shihan, shidoshi. I really is a misunderstanding of the titles. It is a 'tell' for the way that person's mind works.


So to wrap this up, I understand the Japanese title conventions, I adopted it knowing it was a 'strange' decision. I rolled with it because of magic branding from my youth. 'Ignorance of youth' I think it was a awful choice for a martial artist. It is stuck now...it is a brand I am known by - for better or worse. Don't be like me. Don't use Japanese titles.


Eric, the Sensei Strange

3 comments:

  1. your still Nutz..

    ReplyDelete
  2. magic and psychology go hand-in-hand... magic in the form of name/symbol branding is used on people everyday and they seldom realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely Sir, you still remain a large, boorish white, beer-drinking Dojo Rat, eh?
    <;-)

    ReplyDelete