Thursday, July 23, 2009

Taxonomy of Throws

Currrently over at the Kaze Uta Budo Kai site a few of the fellas are debating the technique that is used in this video. Some vote gyakugamae ate, others vote gedan ate.

conversation at Kaze Uta




A few weeks ago I was working out with Hussey Sensei. I asked him to tell me the names of the techniques he was using. "I don't use techniques, I use principles." Many teachers say that, but Hussey Sensei really does it.

Hussey Sensei's comment got me thinking about the conversation we are having about gedan ate versus gyakugamae ate. Really techniques and there names are learning tools. While useful at a certain level of our development, I think at a certain point they cloud our minds that simply want to move in freedom and create aiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment