Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Matl Sensei ground work

I shot some video notes of a few ground work sessions with Matl Sensei. He has a very different feel to his ground work. He floats above his opponent taking up space for them to move. He believes that if you put weight on your opponent, that you are resting on unstable ground. If they move - you move. This idea is contrary to many ground work artists. Hussey Sensei on the other hand feels like the heaviest man in the world when he pins your ribs down. Different strategies, I like them both - no one person has all the answers.

By the way, I am a big believer in having video notes now. I will review these time and time again, picking up small details. Even if you don't want to share your training on youtube - I highly recommend you video and watch your practice as often as you can.

1 comment:

  1. I believe the systema guys have a similar attitude to groundwork. They call it active restraint rather than static restraint, where you move dynamically with the opponent rather than trying to pin them down in one position.

    ReplyDelete