Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Silent Game

I believe only a fraction of Aiki training happens on the mat. Mat time is when us devotees gather to share our thoughts and ideas we have gleamed since the last time we gathered.

I would like to share with you my self training I have been playing with for the last few days. You see i tend to be a heavy footed shuffler of my feet. I thump thump down the hallway of my school. So here is the mindfulness exercise I use.

Try walking silently.

Around the house, around the office, or even on the mat - simply soften your auditory signature.



I have found it to be an interesting play. First I noticed my steps becoming more efficient. Noise, from what I understand of physics, indicates energy is being inefficiently used and coverted to sound. Then I took this idea to the mat - oh yeah, I am not supposed to drag my feet in kata. hey! I can try to make my ukemi (falls) silent too. Hot damn - they are softer that way!

So - play around with it and tell me what you think. Remember, just because you leave the mat, doesn't mean this amazing path of budo stops! The study is in every moment!

Walk In Peace

1 comment:

  1. And in every movement as well . Nice use of steps
    as training since our Do is descibed as a path which we walk . Liked the idea of noise being energy not properly used .

    Brendan

    ReplyDelete