I would like to start looking at the Uki Waza (floating techniques) in a new light. I wish to be be tabula rasa and look at this through new eyes, of both as an Aikido and Judo technician and as a poet.
Readings: FU, u.ku, u.kareru, u.kabu, mu, u.kaberu, uki
English tags: floating, float, rise to surface
From Dictionary.com Verb forms of the word "float"
/floʊt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [floht]
–verb (used without object)
1. to rest or remain on the surface of a liquid; be buoyant: The hollow ball floated.
2. to move gently on the surface of a liquid; drift along: The canoe floated downstream.
3. to rest or move in a liquid, the air, etc.: a balloon floating on high.
4. to move lightly and gracefully: She floated down the stairs.
5. to move or hover before the eyes or in the mind: Romantic visions floated before his eyes.
6. to pass from one person to another: A nasty rumor about his firm is floating around town.
7. to be free from attachment or involvement.
8. to move or drift about: to float from place to place.
9. to vacillate (often fol. by between).
10. to be launched, as a company, scheme, etc.
11. (of a currency) to be allowed to fluctuate freely in the foreign-exchange market instead of being exchanged at a fixed rate.
12. (of an interest rate) to change periodically according to money-market conditions.
13. Commerce. to be in circulation, as an acceptance; be awaiting maturity.
–verb (used with object)
14. to cause to float.
15. to cover with water or other liquid; flood; irrigate.
16. to launch (a company, scheme, etc.); set going.
17. to issue on the stock market in order to raise money, as stocks or bonds.
18. to let (a currency or interest rate) fluctuate in the foreign-exchange or money market.
19. to make smooth with a float, as the surface of plaster.
20. Theater. to lay down (a flat), usually by bracing the bottom edge of the frame with the foot and allowing the rest to fall slowly to the floor.
So dear readers, let your mind free...read down the list. What elements of this word can we apply to our application of these techniques? Let's challenge our own preconceived notions a find ever new ways to examine, create and execute floating technique.